Welcome to Toronto! – By Rachel “Supa Fly” Lai
During these past few weeks, the 2015 – 2016 Open Arms Committee (OAC) has been planning an exciting term for incoming Schulich exchange students. Our team is filled with a diverse number of creative and hard-working individuals, who are passionate about delivering a memorable exchange semester!
Here’s a quick look at some of the ideas that the OAC would love to bring to life for this upcoming school year:
- Escape room challenges – http://www.blogto.com/sports_play/2014/08/the_top_7_room_escape_games_in_toronto/
- Taking a canoe / kayak / paddleboard from Harbourfront to the Toronto Islands – http://www.paddletoronto.com/
- Wonderland day trip – https://www.canadaswonderland.com/
- Niagara Falls – http://www.infoniagara.com/
- Montreal – http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/
- Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) – http://tiff.net/festivals/thefestival
- Nuit Blanche – http://www.scotiabanknuitblanche.ca/
- Secret Santa – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_Santa
I know that all of the executive members, despite living in Canada for most of their lives, are eager to show exchange students how we see the country – from downtown Toronto to the natural beauty of Niagara Falls!
Currently, OAC is focused on planning the Fall Orientation Week (September 9 – 13), where we’ll be sharing essential information to living in Toronto and going to school at Schulich, as well as showing the most of Toronto. We know that once we announce the official schedule and orientation packages (coming to you mid-August), you’ll wish it was already September!
This last weekend, we also filmed our first OAC video, which will give exchange students an understanding of what the OAC is and the types of services that we provide. If you want proof of passion and dedication, it was 31 degrees (plus humidity, so it felt like 40) when we were filming outside! We’ve also started planning for our next video, which will focus on our favourite sights and locations in Toronto, all of which will be featured during our Fall Orientation Week.
As we get closer to Fall Orientation Week, we’ll be doing more blog posts about the work that OAC is doing and posting Fall Orientation Week information as it becomes finalized. In addition, each OAC executive member will be posting a personal blog about their favourite experiences and sights in Canada! If you’re an incoming Fall / Winter 2015 – 2016 Schulich exchange student, and have not been added to the OAC Facebook group, please email [email protected]